Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Holy Peaks Of Nanda Devi~





On a winding path,
In the hushed silence of the mountains
Each time my eyes turn to the sky
A spectacular sight meets the eye
Negligible, becomes the billion years old sky.

With palms pressed together, I sit
  feeling the pristine vibrations;
its faith that makes the world go round,
Oh, it’s faith that keeps us closely bound
  I know, my goddess resides
       amidst those enormous goblets of mist
The Himalayas is holy, pious, so complete!

At twelve past five am, the yellowish sun peeks out,
     ….hits the charcoal-tipped peaks first;
      The delicate ice flutings start to blush
The light spreads in slow motion, and then…
A flowing flame runs down the pinnacle … I go mad.
The rose-pink twin peaks of Nanda Devi
  Inscribe my sky. I believe in what I see.

The fearful symmetry of the mysterious twin peaks
Binds me to the common belief…..
 It is no wonder,
       Nanda Devi, the mountain,
and Nanda, the goddess
are one and the same, indivisible….
The mountain just rests on the hand of goddess Nanda.


 


*** The Garhwal and the Kumaon regions have interesting legends woven around the Hindu pantheon of Gods and Goddesses. One such folklore that has a pride of place in the pahadi’s (hiil’s)  tale is that of Nanda Devi, presiding Goddess of the Chamoli, Pittorgarh and Bhageshri Districts.
To save herself, Nanda Devi climbed up to the snowy pinnacles and merged with the holy mountain. This mountain (25,643ft) came to be revered as a temple for Nanda and she was deified as the Devi, the patron goddess. *** from google


14 comments:

  1. I'm moved. "I go mad" ... your poem brilliantly inflicts the same madness on me. I cannot thank you enough for daring it, "Negligible, becomes the billion years old sky."
    Indeed. The sky is simply a setting for the living god.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was swept along by your words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully woven journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. How amazing it must be to see those peaks at dawn. A beautiful poem, Panchali.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very, very moving, Panchali. I am sure that to even glimpse the Himalayas would be a profoundly holy experience! Lovely images here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of the mountain resting on the hand of the goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aah...my morning begins with the holy lines of yours...i'm in love with the Himalayas so i keep visiting Him...we saw Nanda Devi from Auli last year and that was Grand...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mountains are awesome and impressive as they remind us how small we are in the whole scheme of things. Beautifully written Panchali.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very beautiful mountain, which indeed embodies the Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am touched... beauty beyond words!

    ReplyDelete
  11. To see the Himalayas at sunrise must be a remarkably moving experience.Your enthusiasm is contagiousl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very beautiful images here. Luv it

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is the hush of holiness about this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks All for your encouraging comments..... with deep gratitude. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a line if you have the time...Thanks!