Thursday, April 18, 2019

Out Of Place~


Once at the age of nine,
I was called to the front of the class
Asked to write a piece
 On ‘music that our life plays on’…

I knew the notes…the arrangements, details  
‘Simple!’ I thought.…
‘Creation should be new every time.’
Mocking myself I turned a page …
Pat-pat-pat. It was not the rhythm of rains
It was tapping of feet of the girls
Running, swinging, shifting 
  around the extensive compound.

Glancing at my teacher whom I feared so much
I tried to concentrate.       But, slowly,
What was straight I thought
Was not so clear and straight at all…
No sand seeped through the hourglass for half an hour
I was like breathing in the depth
   Of a cold December night.
Hush.

Well…it was all chaos.
With the rush of words going nowhere
Inside all was a conflict of despair, 
  in garbled grammar!
One line after another gradually
Broke my beautiful music of flight…
Two feet shod in slippers   
   shuffled with an impatient twitch     and left.
Yayyy!
A noose around me unleashed; liberated me.

For Poet's United.


8 comments:

  1. I especially like the tapping of the children's feet on the playground.......it is hard to unleash creativity when one is so afraid of the teacher. I, too, would do better once she left the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the little one's fright, conflict and freedom at last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hovering teachers were a pain but worse was one Art teacher of mine that never left her desk, presumably hating to view our childish scrawls until they were handed up after the lesson ended!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poem reminds me of my school days when I was asked to write an essay or a story and all I wanted to do was write a poem! I especially love the lines:
    ‘I knew the notes…the arrangements, details’
    and
    ‘No sand seeped through the hourglass for half an hour
    I was like breathing in the depth
    Of a cold December night.’

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could visualize the scene and enjoyed the short poem.
    If you have inclination ,visit my blog for a story around Dakshineswar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cAn easily picture this. Love the part about no sand sifting through the hourglass.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all for reading and for the comments, of course. I truly appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Called to the front of the class is the least thing that most of us want, and your poem describes why.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a line if you have the time...Thanks!