Thursday, May 02, 2019

Greedy Pockets~

Image result for on lotus leaf vanish


I sit alone in my empty home,
A place of my birth, 
It doesn’t give the feeling of home I always loved.
The world has strangely melted away
To the reality of time...

Oh, the home of my soul is in the air...
...in nature, in seasons, or in a tear-drop on green folioles;
I run down up to the lotus-pool,
    dip my feet in, but
Oh, where are the dewdrops gone?
 'Once, I could see the sun, the rainbows,
 the whole beautiful universe in those dewdrops!'
Oh, I've broken another relationship here?
My hope shatters…. I mourn.

I try to peer into its pellucid depths again.
And this time see a reflection
Of greedy me- negotiating like a philistine;
My pocket has grown enormous, 
I want everything in human spirit,
-the suction force is obnoxiously irresistible!

A voice rings like whistling breeze
‘ Oh my dear, you are a woman of letters…,
     What have you done?
… you’ve scared them all; the dewdrops
  have sailed beyond seven seas...'
The voice grows smaller and smaller,
Hugging my knees,
    I keep sitting like a dead woman.

   "When did I become part of the evil human eyes
      … with greedy pockets!"
The words tumble out of my trembling lips....



**The negative aspects of humanity must wake up for a world of balance and contentment.


For Poets United
For Susan's Topic #biodiversity

8 comments:

  1. I can see your anguish through this small poem at the decline in bio diversity and the disturbed balance in our eco-systems.It is not an individual greed but the collective one of the entire humanity oblivious to the fact that the 'air we breathe,the water we drink and the food we eat' are all closely intertwined with balanced biodiversity.
    A touching poem sounding warning bell to an unheeding world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This beautiful poem reminds me of Wordsworth's 'Lines Written In Early Spring' where he grieves:
    To her fair works did nature link
    The human soul that through me ran;
    And much it grieved my heart to think
    What man has made of man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You speak the grief of humankind at what we have wrought. And you have done it so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is certainly the age of the philistine and ironically with more people educated than ever before in human history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Politicians, greed and selfishness with absolutely no thought of the future of the world around them have brpought us to this. I loved the way that becoming aware of the world lost in your eyes illustrated that concept so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a hauntingly beautiful poem, Panchali. The whole poem is affecting, and how I love these lines, especially! Accomplished!

    ‘Oh my dear, you are a woman of letters…,
    What have you done?
    … you’ve scared them all; the dewdrops
    have sailed beyond seven seas...'

    ReplyDelete
  7. The persona in your poem is all embracing. We all need to awaken to the resolve of better stewardship of our God given planet

    Thank you for dropping by my blog Panchali

    Much⚘love

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much dear poets for your nice comments. They truly mean a lot to me... 😊

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a line if you have the time...Thanks!