Thursday, August 03, 2017

Reflections


A statue of a man
 Unidentifiable …with kids wrapped
Around his hands and feet.
I fear it is him!
Oh, I shudder at the tales
  those upturned faces tell….
The chortling kids forcing a tilt-up look
Pleading for mercy…!
Does he kick the babies and walk on?
Ah, sometimes the heart baulks
    at human touch-
   How vile it is-
I flinch and turn away.
.A breeze purrs, inspires fear. I trip over.

Quiet everyone
At least for a moment
Let me walk away from my thoughts
For once...
I want
My mind to think for me
And brood of nothing else.
Please
Let me release them
To the winds
Somewhere away from
an ill-founded civilisation.. 
Freedom for them is all I care..


The picture from a famous sculpture installation at the Frogner Park, in Oslo. It is the world’s largest sculpture park made by a single artist, containing the lifework of the Norwegian artist, Gustav Vigeland (1869-1943). More than 200 of his sculptures are present in the park. Each statue has a personality of its own and human emotion is well-captured – the relationships between people are common motifs of Vigeland’s work. 

12 comments:

  1. OH! If this is the sculpture of civilization, well might we seek out the wilderness and the safety of solitude. Such monsters exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sculpture is disturbing. I wonder what his intention was. I fear for those small skulls, precariously mid-flight. Love your poem, Panchali. I, too, long for retreat from the news / my thoughts on the news..............

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I have said elsewhere Humans are the most inhumane of all the mammals. I wonder whether the sculpture sends the message that each of us will be succeeded by our own children whether we like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Statue and poem, feelings brought to life. Skillfully done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your poem expresses the disturbance well of the ill-founded civilisation as shown through this sculpture

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sculpture is indeed so disturbing that now I'm thinking of civilization as a tyrant. The poem is so well put.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for telling about the sculpture park. Your poem was good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would be so easy to be angry at the sculpture, because it is disturbing. But we need to be angry at the harsh truth behind the sculpture.
    My first time visiting your blog, and I love your chosen name, Panchali.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot help but wonder what the sciptor was thinking, what drove him to create this piece. However, I am always inspired by your relevant, thoughtful words. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing the background of this unnerving sculpture. Inspiring poem, Panchali!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome blog, i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!
    Thank for your very good article...!

    ลาลีกา

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a line if you have the time...Thanks!