Thursday, June 27, 2019

Walk~


My walk is not about ‘destinations’
-it’s the on-the-way 'collection'
Of odd objects I pick up on these walks!

I crouch over the smallest thing that catches my eye.
Rocks, pretty pebbles, green leaves, tall grey feathers,
small yellow beads, blue marbles, indigo sea shells, the whittled twigs ….
 Ah, the marvellous objects stare straight ahead until I can see them.
Me, like a delighted naturalist squat down, and
 pick the specimens for my kitty.

And... my lunacy for collection continues…
Marvels and more marvels head back towards my house, and
Settle down in my drawers of possessions.
I know what is in every drawer, on each shelf
Each jewel contains a precious story...the kinds
that whips the darkness off the soul.
 ‘the secrets and wonders of my lonely walks’.

Talking to myself:
A city street holds my breath.
The excavators grunt rips the ground
Its claws lifts earth along with
A can of squashed coke, 
.....egg shells, plastic cups, worms, bones!
---Ah, the abused and the abuser
I’ve been both.
I drop my veil…


For Poets United.

12 comments:

  1. I can imagine walks with your granddaughter, with BOTH of you crouched down, gathering treasures. I used to load my pockets wiith rocks, shells and driftwood..........but after down-sizing three times, I had to stop doing that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I have been a great scavenger myself – of stones, feathers, twigs, discarded objects ... but now that I live in a unit I try to 'collect' them by taking photos instead. Or even writing poems about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, just read Sherry's comment, after writing mine. Ha, I knew she and I were kindred spirits. Nice to meet another in you!

      Delete
  3. This is incredibly poignant and heart-stirring, Panchali 💖 I especially love the idea of each jewel containing a precious story and whipping darkness off the soul 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could relate to this.When I was in Calcutta I used to walk along with my wife in the early morning on RB Avenue by the side of Komala Vilas that had rows of small shops selling blouse,petticoats,baby frocks.I had the strange habit of bending down and collecting colourful buttons of different sizes found on the path to my wife's chagrin! Over a period I had a large collection to feel similar happiness of a philatelist.I gave up after sometime to the great relief of my wife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a teenager I used to collect stones and rocks. That was when we were in Zambia, a country so rich in copper. Even on any path or road you would find malachite and all sorts of copper compounds. This stopped when we came back to India. and I was happy to restrict myself to seashells only. Ha your poem evoked some memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I so enjoyed this We always come home with a booth full of driftwood, stones and shells. I also loved your the sad but powerful and last stanza

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an excellent occupation to have, I am addicted too feeling I must have an unusual stone I find at the beach or some flotsam washed ashore that deserves a home. They get thrown out eventually when others are found so then decorate the garden instead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is walking with purpose. Love that every object collected contain a story. And I so relate to talking to self. :) Great write!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am more the haiku type than the scavanger type, so all those beautiful treasures, i freeze them to subconscious drawers. Recalling them when necessary.
    Thanks for this lovely treasured walk

    Much❤🕊❤love

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been collecting seashells all my life on the beach. I place them around pot plants and in the garden. I have had some for forty years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful, Panchali. I always combed the beach for shells, pebbles, rocks, and driftwood.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a line if you have the time...Thanks!